I decided last night at midnight that I ought to make something cool for my Primary class at church today, so I made up this pattern for a CTR Shield. I finished making them all at 2 am. Yeah, not my smartest move. (I made 5 total.)
Materials: green yarn, G hook, white felt, glue
Row 1: ch 1.
Row 2: 2 sc in ch 1 from previous row, ch 1, turn. (2 sc)
Row 3: 2 sc in each stitch, ch 1, turn. (4 sc)
Row 4: 2 sc, sc in next two st, 2 sc, ch 1, turn. (6 sc)
Row 5: 2 sc, sc in next 4 st, 2 sc, ch 1, turn. (8 sc)
Row 6: sc in next 8 st, ch 1, turn. (8 sc)
Row 7: sc in next 8 st, ch 1, turn. (8 sc)
Row 8: sl st in next 2 st, sc, dc decrease in next 2 st, sc, sl st in next 2 st, ch 1, turn.
Row 9: sl st in next 3 st, sc in top of dc decrease from previous row, sl st to end of row, finish off.
Weave in ends.
Cut out the letters CTR from the white felt and glue them onto the green shield. Mod Podge is not ideal for this, incidentally, though I discovered that fact TOO LATE. So use some other kind of craft glue.
If desired, glue pin backings on to the back to make them into pins. (I wanted to do this but did not have a hot glue gun available to do so... fail.) Another easy adaptation is to crochet a basic band onto it to make it into a bracelet.
Each shield took about 5-10 min to crochet, and cutting out/gluing on the letters was the tedious part. But still, I did the whole thing from making up the pattern to finishing five in under 2 hours (with some aborted ideas along the way) so it's not a super intense project. I would estimate you can crank one out from start to finish in about 20 min tops. Finished product is about 1 in square.