Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sweet Muffins

My mom's favorite cookbook was always one specific edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook (I think from the 70's). It was her fail-safe, go to cookbook, and when it fell apart, we put each page in sheet protectors in a binder so that she could keep using it.

Point being, that's where I got this awesome muffin recipe. It's incredibly easy and delicious.

Sweet Muffins

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

plus whatever mix-ins you want, like:
1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 c fresh blueberries
lemon zest + lemon juice + poppy seeds
orange zest + craisins
chopped nuts
chocolate chips

Heat oven to 400 F. Grease bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups (2 3/4 diameter) or use muffin liners. Beat egg; stir in milk and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy. (If you mix it too much your muffins get tough and not quite as delectable.) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 20-25 min or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan. Makes 12 muffins.

I added 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice to mine tonight and tried them out in my newish mini muffin pan. I got 24 muffins out of it, though I probably filled them fuller than i should have because I really didn't want to have to do another round with 2-4 muffins in a pan with 24 spots... If you decide to do mini muffins, only bake them for 15-20 minutes or so (until they look golden brown around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean). I also reduced the temperature to 375 F right before I put them in since I was using a dark pan. 

Enjoy! If you find any particularly stellar mix in combinations, I'd love to hear about them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment