Sunday, February 5, 2012

Steampunk Cake

A tale of a two layer cake transformed into a gear, in four pictures.

Not the most exciting... yet. I am pretty pumped that I got to use my cake decorating stand though.

Cutting out some pieces to make it gear shaped...

Center circle is cut now

Aaaaand... done!

I used this recipe for the cake and this frosting recipe (because I hate conventional buttercream frosting). I'm not sure what the deal was with the frosting, but I could never get it to thicken like it was supposed to when I was boiling the initial mixture, so my frosting was super soft at the end. (We stirred it for 20 minutes, I kid you not, before I gave up and took it off the stove. I wonder if altitude can make that big of a difference...) Still, I found it easy to work with for the most part.

This is really only the practice prototype cake. I wanted to make sure I could do it before the party. :) Now I kind of wish I could guarantee it would still be fresh and delicious in 4 days... but I'll probably end up making another one. I hope people like cake a LOT. It's a pretty dang tasty treat if you like chocolate.

Other food ideas for the steampunk party include: fried cookies, donuts, Victorian tea party food (i.e. cucumber sandwiches and the like), and possibly something boring like a vegetable tray. Suggestions welcome; I seem to have a hard time balancing out all the desserts...

Drinks may involve butter beer or some sort of ginger ale - sherbet concoction.

... Blast. I think I'll have to go to the grocery store again before this all goes down...

No comments:

Post a Comment