Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Some good stuff to read.

I've been perusing the Nebula nominations (not because I can vote on them, but because obviously somebody thought they were worth reading, and probably a lot of somebodies if they made it on the ballot). Not all of them are available for free online, but I thought I'd post links to a few of my favorites that are. For a full list of nominees, go here (complete with links!).

Of the novels, I have only read Kingdom of Gods, which I reviewed already. I will probably check out the others at some point. I haven't read any of the nominees in the YA category - how did that happen? I haven't seen any of the dramatic presentations nominated either, but that's less of a shocker given how many movies I see in a year. (Last year: 3 in theaters, I believe, and only a handful at home.)

Novellas:
Kiss Me Twice,” Mary Robinette Kowal (Asimov’s Science Fiction, June 2011)
The Man Who Bridged the Mist,” Kij Johnson (Asimov’s Science Fiction, October/November 2011) - though I'm pretty sure you don't get to read the whole thing online, which I am very sad about.

Novelettes:
Ray of Light,” Brad R. Torgersen (Analog Science Fiction and Fact, December 2011) - again, sadly just an excerpt.
Sauerkraut Station,” Ferrett Steinmetz (Giganotosaurus, November 2011)
Six Months, Three Days,” Charlie Jane Anders (Tor.com, June 2011)

Short Story:
Movement,” Nancy Fulda (Asimov’s Science Fiction, March 2011)

I enjoyed reading all the nominees I could find, but if you don't have time to read them all, at least give these a shot. Even if you don't like super strange sci-fi, I think you'll still like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment