Friday, March 16, 2012

Pi Day - Cherry Pie

I used to hate cherry pie. But one year, Nathan requested that I try it for Thanksgiving, and I found this recipe on allrecipes.com... and I realized what I really hate is canned cherry pie filling. And so I present to you...

Cherry Pie

Ingredients

Pie crust - 2 crusts
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c + 2 Tbs Crisco or shortening
- cold water

Cherry Pie filling

- 2 pounds sour cherries, pitted (I usually use frozen pre-pitted ones)
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)  


2. Prepare the bottom crust of one pie. Use the same directions as for the 1 crust pie, except at the end gather it into two balls instead of 1. Roll out one of the balls for the bottom crust (the other is for the top crust).

3. In a saucepan, combine cherries, sugar and cornstarch. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.* Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the juices thicken and become translucent.

4. While cherry filling is simmering, roll out top crust on a well floured surface.

5. Remove filling from heat and stir in the butter and almond extract. Mix thoroughly and pour into pie shell.

6. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Alternately, you can do a lattice top if you prefer.

7. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

*If using frozen cherries, this step will take a while.

1 comment:

  1. I *love* a good cherry pie. They're up at the top of my list with Chocolate Cream, Coconut Cream, Rhubarb, and Pecan Pie.

    ReplyDelete