Monday, March 5, 2012

Potatoes Supreme

My mom had a certain potato dish she always made for special events (mostly holidays and big family dinners). She got it from my Dad's mom, who got it from... somewhere. My recipe genealogy doesn't go that far back. :P It goes very well with ham, and, in fact, my sister-in-law will often put chopped leftover ham in the potatoes directly for added convenience.

And now, enough chatter. May I present....

Potatoes Supreme


Ingredients:

- 1 can cream of celery soup (if you don't like the store bought kind, I like this recipe for homemade cream soups)
- 3/4 can water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbs chopped onion
- 3/4  grated cheese
- 7-8 medium potatoes
- 1/2 grated cheese
- ham (optional)

Directions:

Peel potatoes and slice thinly. Mix cream of celery soup, water, salt, pepper, onion, and 3/4 c cheese (and ham, if desired); layer in a casserole dish with potatoes. Make 5-6 layers, covering all potato slices. Top with 1/2 c. grated cheese. Cover and bake at 350 F for 2 1/2-3 hours. Uncover for the last 15-20 min.

Serve with: ham/turkey/etc, crusty bread, and vegetables of your choice.

I have actually only made this myself once (several years ago), but my brother gave me some of their leftovers from yesterday and it reminded me how good it was. You can even try increasing the amount of sauce if you'd like; the leftovers tend to suck it all up so there's not as much on day 2 or 3 (though it still tastes delicious).

3 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty similar to the scalloped potatoes dish my mom makes, but I have no idea what's in there. Goes great with ham, preferably spiral cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Grandma J. got this recipe from someone in her Relief Society--they passed out recipes and a bunch of people made it for a ward dinner. That's 3/4 Cup grated cheese in the "goop" and 1/2 Cup grated cheese to put on top. I usually add extra cheese, and use dehydrated onion because it's easier. I don't make this very often any more; it's too much for two people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, nice. And it's not even [that] bad for you. Approved.

    ReplyDelete