Friday, December 9, 2011

White Chili

Dinner last night was white chili, recipe courtesy of my friend who I believe got it from his aunt. It's one of our favorites, especially when served with fresh bread on a cold winter day. Bread: check, cold winter day: double check. (Unfortunately.)

Not the prettiest presentation, but you get the idea.

Here's the recipe:

- 2 lbs chicken breast cooked and diced (I use 2 cans of the precooked chicken from Costco for ultimate laziness)
- 1 lg onion, diced (I use dried onion, about 1/4 c I think - I usually just eyeball it)
- 3 cans of beans (I usually use great northern, white kidney, and red kidney beans because I like a mixture better than all one kind, but pick whatever kinds you'd like)
- 2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth (or 4c water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes, or 4c chicken stock)
- 1 7oz can of diced green chilies (I think I usually use a 4 oz can just because that's the kind I always have on hand)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne powder or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 c sour cream (I use one 16 oz container)
- 1 c whipped cream, milk, or half and half (I usually use milk)

Add chicken, onion, beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 min. Stir in sour cream and milk. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment