Monday, May 7, 2012

Waffles

Confession time: we're not really big milk drinkers in this house. But I can't quite bear to buy half gallons of milk because, really, they're only like 10 cents cheaper than a whole gallon. So it's a pretty common occurrence for me to dump 1/3 to half a gallon of milk down the drain when it goes off.

This time it's a little ridiculous. Our milk expires in a few days and it's still over 3/4 of the way full. So this week's cooking revolves around recipes that use a lot of milk. (I have a feeling I will be making rice pudding tomorrow or Wednesday... and/or custard if I have the patience.)

Anyway, tonight was waffles! I used this recipe from www.allrecipes.com (of course). I must say it was pretty tasty overall - I did add in 1 tsp cinnamon, but other than that followed it exactly. I think it has a bit too much baking powder though so I may try reducing it next time.

Classic Waffles

Ingredients

- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar (can increase up to 6 Tbs if desired, but I didn't feel it was necessary)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk (I microwaved it for about a minute)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.

2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended. (If you're really ambitious, you can separate the egg yolks from the egg whites; mix the yolks in with the milk, butter and vanilla, and beat the egg whites until fluffy and fold them in at the very end after the rest of the batter is done. I am too lazy for this normally, but it does make the waffles extra, extra fluffy if you take the time to do it.)

3. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.

This recipes makes around 10 waffles in my Belgian waffle maker. 

Also, if you have any favorite recipes that use lots of milk, throw them my way!

2 comments:

  1. For me, waffles are all about the texture. Traditionally, Belgian waffles are made from a thin batter that has yeast in it, and allowed to ferment overnight. When you put it in a waffle iron (particularly one that flips over to get better coverage) it makes a delicious, light, crispy waffle. Personally, I prefer my waffles a little heavier, so just some plain waffle mix is just fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's always A2's favorite (probably eaten 15 times a week):

    Honey Bunches of Oats
    Milk

    Mix in a bowl and eat.
    T.

    ReplyDelete