Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Books. Lots of 'em.

And now, a few lists.

Top five favorite books of 2011 (in no particular order):

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline*
Hard Magic - Larry Correia#
The Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson#
I Don't Want to Kill You - Dan Wells#
Snuff - Terry Pratchett#

Books I read and enjoyed in 2011 even though they weren't in my top 5 (also in no particular order):

Variant - Rob Wells*^
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin#
Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, and An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire#
Ghost Story - Jim Butcher#
All of the books in the Vorkosigan saga - Lois McMaster Bujold*
Monster Hunter International, Monster Hunter Vendetta, Monster Hunter Alpha - Larry Correia#
Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss#
Feed - Mira Grant*
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin#
Blackout/All Clear - Connie Willis*
Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal#
Fuzzy Nation - John Scalzi*

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I looked in my "books I have finished reading" folder on my Kindle to get at least a sort of good snapshot of my reading habits this year... also, I'm not counting re-reads in that list, but I did re-read a bunch of Pratchett, among others.

Consider all of the above to be recommended as good reading material. Science fiction is marked with a *, fantasy with a #, and young adult with a ^ (just in case you care).

Still to read (but highly anticipated):

Spellbound - Larry Correia
Deadline - Mira Grant
Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor
Across the Great Barrier - Patricia Wrede
Pegasus - Robin McKinley
The Broken Kingdoms - N.K. Jemisin
Glamour in Glass - Mary Robinette Kowal

(That is, of course, not my full "to read" list, but ones that came out in the last year or so that I haven't gotten to yet.)

Looking back, I feel like I filled in a lot of glaring gaps in my reading education this past year. I hope to do even better this year! As always, I welcome suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment