Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SOPA/PIPA

Tomorrow is the big internet protest against SOPA/PIPA. I admittedly don't know much about the specifics of SOPA/PIPA, but everything I've heard can pretty much be summarized thusly: they are terrible pieces of legislation that will do much more harm than good. Oh, and they probably won't do much to actually stop online piracy and might go a long way towards killing the internet if they pass.

Needless to say, I haven't heard a single bit of positive feedback on them. And so even though tomorrow at work will kind of suck (no Wikipedia!) I fully support all the websites that are blacking out.

If either of these bills do pass, it will be a sad, sad day for democracy, because I have a really hard time believing that passing SOPA or PIPA is actually the will of the people right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment